Taking a deeper look, the word Huitzilopochtli (translates to Left-Handed Hummingbird) is made up of two other words:
Huitzilin = hummingbird
Opochtli = left (side)
…and is a metaphor for our heartbeat; for heart-centered will power and free will.
Consider the immense energy and determination of the beautiful bright hummingbird that flies thousands of miles from the South to the North and back again.
The birth of Huitzilopochtli represents the rising sun; the light overcoming darkness (consciousness and unconsciousness), self-mastery (overcoming the challenges of the Sun's long night of the soul), and strong willpower.
It is the challenging inner work known as the Flowery War; our internal battle to awaken from the dream of materialism and of living without purpose.
How can I celebrate Winter Solstice in ceremony?
- Wake up early, before the sun rises
- Drink water and breathe deeply
- Light a candle, incense or tobacco with prayer intention
- Sing, to give thanks for the birth of the sun, and with it the arrival of a new day, a new cycle
- Include corn, honey, or cacao in your diet as the main food
(Excerpt of writing by Maestra Griselda Grace Alvarez Sesma)